Sunday, August 11, 2013

14 years of Nepal stock experience sharing

I would like to share my experience and I believe it will be useful for some forum members to make an appropriate investment decision.

I have been investing in Nepal Stocks since last 14 years, initially started from investing in IPOs and then gradually jumped into secondary market and have been continually buying good companies stocks. All my investments were/are from my own savings and therefore, I have never taken any loan from any individual and financial institution as of now. That is was the sole reason why I did not sale any shares in loss during those bearish periods when I suffered with significant reduction in total value of my stock.
However, even if I was panicked, I put on additional stocks in my portfolio assuming that the time will come for bull and I will be able to earn some from my hard earned money. I also noticed that, the worse year (based on my experience in stock market) 2011/2012 was also able to give thousand kittas of bonus shares to me and few hundred thousands of cash dividends to supplement my regular earning. Now, though, time has yet to come for bull, I am happy with the decisions that I made to keep my stocks and my ability to make appropriate decision in adding very good stocks in cheaper rate during the bearish period.

How my decisions of changing scrips in my portfolio were profitable to me?
1. I had bought few hundred kittas of CHCL at the rate of 620 however, I sold them in 930 (around 50% profit) but did not keep my money idle but invested in NABIL at 705 where I got bonus/cash dividend last year and I have appreciated value as well.
2. After reviewing past dividend history and the financial statements, I bought few hundred kittas of Sagarmatha Insurance at the rate of 565. After having bonus and cash dividend, I sold them (in the range of 700-725) recently and bought BPCL (at 790) in anticipation of getting good cash/bonus share and right share soon.
3. I was looking closely with the financial statements of SCB and NABIL in past three years and I made the decision to sell all my SCB stakes and bought NABIL instead. My decision in switching to NABIL has proved beneficial to me.

Lessons learned:
1. Never be panic and sell the stocks of good companies during the bearish period
2. Never sell any good stock if investments were done from your savings (not loan)
3. Pay attention on news and reports and look for right time to buy even during the bearish period
4. Make a bold decision to buy when bunch of people decide to sell good stocks
5. Identify the non-performing or less performing stocks and get rid of them and replace them by aggressive and high performing stocks.
src Nepali@pardesh, Jamb Forum